Saturday, August 1, 2026
NB: We are investigating what is happening to the photographs...
Today we used our Tyler Arboretum Memberships to view the
Presque Isle Lighthouses in Erie, PA.
 |
Presque Isle Lighthouse (1872-1873, in 1896 another 17' was added to the tower) |
 |
The attached lighthouse keeper's home is maintained in the era of the 1920s; kitchen |
 |
| 1929 Atwater Kent model 67 console radio |
 |
| Fourth-order Fresnel lens |
 |
Originally using whale oil to light the lamps, kerosene began to be used in the late 1890s; the lighthouse keeper would fill enough lamps to be used during the night and stored them in a separate oil room |
 |
We climbed the 78 steps of the circular staircase (even though the tower is square); here we are looking down the steps |
 |
The view down on the Welcome Center and Gift Shop (originally a garage when the keeper's house was used by state park staff c 1944-2014) |
 |
View north over Lake Erie, unusually calm today; note the groin (stone "island") that is one of 55, which create a segmented breakwater to control erosion |
 |
Although electrified in the 1920s, the light is now fully automated (since 1962) and is maintained by the Coast Guard (since the 1940s) as a working aid to navigation |
 |
The second floor of the lighthouse keeper's house: Clearing Out the Attic |
 |
| The bedroom illustrates the morning routine: |
 |
Wash up at the wash stand using a pitcher of water and a wash bowl |
 |
| Empty the chamber pot in the outhouse |
 |
| And refill the oil lamp |
 |
Back downstairs for the model buildings: Fog Signal Station (1899) that used to be located near the North Pier Light |
 |
North Pier Light at the far eastern end of Presque Isle guided boats into a narrow channel to Presque Isle Bay; originally made of wood in 1840, it was destroyed when a schooner crashed into it during a gale; the pier was extended in 1858 with a new lighthouse made of wrought-iron; extended again in 1883 and in 1891, causing the lighthouse to be moved; electrification in 1924 and final extension in 1940 when the lighthouse was encased in steel panels |
 |
Erie Land Lighthouse was the first lighthouse commissioned along the Great Lakes in 1818; in 1857 a brick tower replaced the original wooden structure, but on a poor foundation; in 1867 a Berea sandstone structure was built 200' east of the original; it is no longer an active aid to navigation |
 |
Misery Bay Boathouse and Dock (1873), and 1872 stone pier; before roads, the lighthouse keeper kept a rowboat to go to the mainland for supplies or take children to school; the stone pier was where materials were delivered to build the Presque Isle lighthouse and keeper's house |
 |
| Presque Isle Lighthouse (1872-1873, tower addition in 1896) |
 |
| Lighthouse keeper's uniform jacket |
 |
| United States Lighthouse Society pin |
 |
Sand sculpture (7/24/2026, by Todd Pangborn) from the Sand Jam! in Presque Isle State Park, sponsored by Marquette Savings Bank |
 |
A huge pile of sand obscured our view of the North Pier Light, but it is ready to nourish Presque Isle beaches |
 |
| Gulls stand guard on the sand pile |
 |
| North Pier and Light |
 |
| Steel-paneled North Pier Light |
 |
Back in the 1890s, people who could not afford homes built houseboats all around Presque Isle; in 1937 government regulations were made to limit the number to 24 houseboats and all are located in Horseshoe Pond |
 |
Perry Monument (1926) honors Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, a naval war hero who defeated the British at the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812; six of Perry's eleven ships were built near the mainland and Perry and his fleet spent two winters here |
 |
| Erie Land Lighthouse (1867) |
 |
| Erie Land Lighthouse Keeper's Home (1858) |
No comments:
Post a Comment